Pages

Friday 25 July 2014

Chafing is coming

I love the hot weather, but the last few weeks have been a humid nightmare for my hoo-ha area. Long time readers may remember my post on chub rub deterrents A song of thighs and fire which listed some items that I had tried out and wanted to try. I thought I'd write an update post to go with the original, listing some things I've been recommended and things I've tried out!

I got a massive response to that post because innner thigh chafing is a bitch from hell, and you don't have to be a massive fatty to suffer from it. It does seem though that the bigger you are the harder it is to find solutions. I would REALLY like to find a solution that doesn't involve adding extra layers of clothing on a hot day, but as yet I haven't had any luck.....

Lots of lovely ladies recommended Lush ultrabalm for my anti-chafe needs. At £8.75 it's not the cheapest of pots, but I thought it was worth a punt. I tried slathering my thighs in it. I tried using a teeny tiny amount of it. I tried every amount in between. It just doesn't work for me. I found it made my thighs stick together and didn't stop me chafing even when just worn round the house. I seem to have particularly massive thighs with the same desire to be together as a couple of magnets. Many women swear by this stuff though, so it's probably worth a try, it just doesn't work for me.
The totally trustworthy and lovely Betty Bee recently reviewed Vevina cream (here) and I'm tempted to try some out. It's true that Betty is not as big as me, so her thighs might not be quite as smushed together as mine, but I generally like to try out new products because one day, one of them might actually work for me... right?!
Sticking with the blogger theme, I recently read about Jockey skimmies slipshorts here on the curvy fashionista site. These look really good to me, but I can't locate them in the UK (not in big sizes or for a sensible price anyway!), but if they ever arrive over here I'm fo' sho' gonna give them a try!

Everyone and their mother is going bonkers for the new Big Bloomers long leg knickers. I want to try them, but a couple of things are putting me off. For one thing they're £15.95 per pair (for the length I'd need!) not including p&p, which seems a little steep and keeps putting me off actually ordering a pair. The second is that they look like they're quite synthetic. I might be wrong, but they look like super thick tights or something. I'm gonna drop the T-bomb here ladies..... THRUSH! Oh god how that bastard bird has plagued me through my adult life. Doctors would like me to walk around in big cotton pants, a loose pilgrim skirt and nowt else in order to combat this particular problem (piss off!) but in my world this has to translate to wearing as little synthetic / sweaty fabrics next to my fanny as possible. If these shorts are in fact cotton then I will certainly give them a go. If not, I'll stick to my bloomers, but for those of you who are more at home with synthetic pants it seems like these offer great chub-rub prevention!

In all honesty I'm still wearing the same old favorites - The bloomers from ebay which are my absolute favourite and do the job of absorbing all my sweatyness (even if I find a balm to stop the chafing, how would I deal with the buckets of sweat my mothers oven & nearby area produces?!) while preventing chub rub. Sadly they only come in blue or pink, so when I really need to look like I'm not wearing anything I wear my Sloggi basci longs. They're okay if I'm not walking around too much - my thighs are not particually fond of lace, so although they protect the top of my thighs from chafing sometimes the bottom where the lace is rubs when it's very hot weather! 

And then!


What wonderful readers I have! I've never understood why it's so hard to buy cotton cycling shorts. I never see them anywhere in fat sizes! Lilac Lou recently commented on my original chub-rub post and gave me a link to some (relatively) cheap cycling shorts that come in a big range of colours.... Genius!
I ordered the 'tan' colour in XXXL (size 20), the biggest size available, but I'm size 22-24 and they fit me fine. Love love love them. They don't ride up, they're nice cotton, they're a good length and pull up over my double belly! These are my new favorite and I've already ordered another pair. I'm sure I'll get some other colours at some point too! These are my 2014 recommendation to combat chub-rub, get them here!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree on the sweat issue. This year I've been trying the Skindura Secret Shield balm that's been hyped on the internet in the last few years. I think it does an OK job in preventing chafing, but being able to walk around bare-legged made me realize that wading around in my own inner-thigh area sweat (with the accompanying soaked knickers -- sorry for the TMI) isn't a very pleasant sensation either. Sure, the idea of bare legs under a nice cool wide skirt on a hot day is appealing in theory but all in all I think cycling shorts/bloomers are a better option for me for warm days when I have to do a lot of walking around, since they absorb the moisture pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree - the last thing I want in hot weather is to end up with a massive sweat patch on the back of my dress!

    ReplyDelete