Pages

Tuesday 8 December 2020

Winter is coming (yet again)

 I've  struggled to find winter coats that I LOVE in the last few years. I've got some lovely autumn coats, but when it comes to really cold weather, I'm still wearing the same pieces I've had since the old days of the blog. I've been on the hunt for some specific things, so I thought I'd share how I've been getting on.

I have an old old old h&m teddy sort of coat that I end up wearing a lot over winter. It's good for those days when a puffer or faux fur is just a bit too warm, but a regular coat isn't warm enough. Unfortunately it's totally knackered and I need to replace it. 


ASOS DESIGN Curve quilted double layer hero trench coat in black

I loved the look of this coat so thought it might be worth trying. I got a 22 after reading about how oversized it is. I'm annoyed about it. 

Yet again the oversized cut just looks unintentionally too big! This time because the belt loops are far too low! Now look.... I am aware that my body doesn't represent all plus size women BUT I am 5 foot 8 and have an unusually long torso. I have to get long swimsuits. My breasts aren't high or perky but there is still a big gap between my bust and my waist. So the fact that the belt sits too low on me means it would be on an average womans fucking hips! WHO IS DESIGNING FOR ASOS?!


(Belt when not through the loops). I took these from a low angle as I couldn't position my phone higher so my legs look long and my body looks short (and my double chin looks massive!), but trust me.... when through the loops the belt sits on the top of my hips. Above the loops it sits on my waist!

ARGH! Damn it though, I like everything else about it! If I could unpick and sew the belt loops on higher it would look like this. 

The question is, do I actually want to spend £50 on a coat I have to mess around with? The answer is no.

NEXT, Puffers!

My black asos puffer is a keeper but black is boring, and I've wanted a second puffer for years. What I didn't want though, was a shapeless or massive puffer and that's all that seemed to be up for grabs last winter. I fell in love with a couple of puffers that seemed to have a better shape.


First up is this lovely green number from asos. With brands I don't know I tend to get a size 26, but as you can see that was a mistake with this coat! It was very big. 


It was also incredibly soft and warm and comfy, so I was tempted to try a size or two smaller. The only problem might be that the top is still big but the hips don't close if I go down to a 22! 


It's hard to say how I'd feel about this in a smaller size, but I do love the colour and the neckline. I think the proportions just might not work for my shape.

Plus Charcoal Grey Collar Puffer Maxi Coat

Okay so grey isn't particularly exciting but I liked the look of this pretty little thing puffer. Irl it's not the best shape, as it's much more generous on the top then the bottom. This seems to be how most coats are made nowadays and I really don't understand why? Mens clothing tends to be wide on the shoulder and chest and tapered on the hips. Fair enough because most men have narrow hips. Women, quite famously, tend NOT to have narrow hips. Or wide shoulder spans. So WHY are so many coats now gigantic on top and barely close on the bum and hips? I mean I'm big on top too as I've a very wide back, so I really shouldn't be experiencing this problem all the time!

Moving on.... it has no fastenings other than the belt, but I could have easily added a couple of hook and eyes. Sadly there's no point, because for some reason only known to the insane person who designed it, it doesn't have pockets. Fucking madness!

Just for balance, I really like the neckline of this a lot. I like bluish grey colour. The length is excellent and its extremely comfy and warm. It's also not a super thick puffer, which would have been ideal for what I was looking for. I'm honestly still looking at this and wishing it had been more practical.

Threadbare Curve jodie longline puffer coat

I was genuinely not sure if it was worth trying this puffer but I liked the colour and it's hooded, so it seemed like a sensible option. It's a bit straight up and down for me sadly. Far too puffy and square on the shoulders. very warm though!


This is the size 24 and it's the right fit. Good on the arms and body. The pockets are oddly low and so stick out underneath my hips rather than on them.... so it's incredibly unflattering! A bit of a shame as I think if this had been designed with more of a hourglass shape, it would have been pretty cool.


FAUX FUR TIME!

Now on to the faux furs! I have two and they're both really thick and a bit stiff. They're both designed to look like real fur, which isn't something I'm particularly fussed about. I thought it was time for a faux fur update!

Daisy Street Plus oversized coat in faux fur

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the daisy street black faux fur with flames on it, so wanted to try out this fabulous yellow coat. I tried the 24 first and it was massive! Too shapeless for my liking, so this is the size 20.

I mean it's really funky isn't it? The colour is daisy yellow and the fur is incredibly soft and flexible. Extremely comfortable. Yes I may look like big bird but who cares?! I'm so into the feel and the colour, plus the buttons are super cute. 

What I was trying to work out here was if I was into the shape. Big on top smaller on bottom and sloping shoulders. Same irritatingly unflattering cut as so many coats nowadays. It seems to be the default shape with so many faux furs, but I like more tailored shoulders and either a fitted or swing shape in coats. I could have moved the buttons for a tighter fit on top but the shoulders are still half way down my upper arms!

I would also have had to taken the arms up a bit as they're stupidly long (folded inside for this snap). It took me a while to send this back because the colour made me want to keep it! I suspect that this will indeed end up in my wardrobe soon. The more I look at it, the more enamoured with it I become.

Plus Taupe Belted Faux Fur Coat

This pretty little thing faux fur caught my eye due to the belt. Even if it's a bit big on the top, a belt tends to give a coat a good shape. It also looked so soft and snuggly! Size 26 and super comfy. As per usual, tighter on the hips than it should be if you consider how big it is on top! Hey-ho.... not surprised by this sort of thing anymore frankly!

I was worried about it looking a bit like a fleece robe at first (which it does!) but I'm actually not convinced that I care! Sadly it's a really different colour to how it looked online. I'm just not feeling it. A real shame as it was a bargain and is so snuggly!

Plus Black Hooded Faux Fur Midi Coat

This was my sensible option. Pretty little thing again. Black (so It will go with most outfits), hooded (excellent for rain and cold mornings) and zipped (so it won't pop or blow open!). It also looked like it might have standard shoulders and not be oversized. VERY sadly it has no shape so it's very tight on the hips. It also has no pockets AGAIN! I am sorry, but there is not a mens coat in the world that has no pockets so WHY do women get so many clothes without pockets? Not only clothes but proper winter coats? In 2020, where everyone in the western world has at least a phone that they carry with them everywhere?! This is surely a cost cutting technique cause it's not about shape, as both PLT coats are totally shapeless. Straight up and down! 

I'm as sad about this one as the PLT puffer, because if it had a bit of shape and pockets, they would both have been bloody perfect! The faux fur it thin and lightweight, so not bulky. Still warm though and tailored to the shoulders so doesn't have that bathrobe look to it. Plus it has a hood. I was so hoping this would be a keeper, but alas no. VERY disappointed!

Elvi Plus faux fur coat in mint

I decided to have a quick browse in the asos curve outlet and as I always do, I sorted by newest in. First I saw the green Elvi faux fur, which instantly excited me! It just looked so soft and warm! Plus, the colour is ace.

This just isn't for me. It's too boxy for one thing. It's also really tight on my arms, despite being a size 26. A shame as it's very soft and buttons to the neck, so it would be very warm! Oh well, bit of a shame but on to something magical.....



It took me all of 3 seconds to add this coat to my bag. 

 I saw a heavenly body..... a blue faux fur midi with big pockets that appeared to have shoulders and be made of super soft and flowing fabric. Too good to be true! Size 26? YES! it was on a hanger in my home the very next day.


It is heaven. Incredibly soft. A fabulous teal blue. Perfect length, good sized arms and shoulders that sit where shoulders should! What I hadn't realised was that it had no fastenings. Bit of a problem for me as I like to be wrapped up and warm. I sewed in a firm large popper to close it and now it is utter perfection! I'm probably going to add another small fastening near the lapel so I can cover my neck when it's really cold or windy. 


I was (still am!) Sooooo excited about this coat. I adore it! I wore it out on the first day it was cold enough to warrant a faux fur!

No comments:

Post a Comment