Pages

Wednesday 16 December 2020

Simply Be and..... Evans? REALLY, EVANS?!

 I have a credit account with Simply Be, so it's not unusual for me to have a little splurge on sale items (and then return almost all of them!), but I don't fuck with Evans normally. They're pricey, their sizing is irritating and it's often a bit to frumpy for me. Not always, but often! Anyway, you'll see why I ordered something at the end of this post!

First up, Simply Be.


Sorry my loves, I got this dress ages ago and forgot to post about it, so this version is no longer available in most sizes sadly. It is available in quite a few other prints though, some of which are just as cute (just search for square neck dress and you'll find 'em!)! It's a sort of smooth shell fabric with a bit of stretch. Delicate but also quite firm.


The reviews of this dress are pretty scathing but I love it! I understand why people are pissed off. the sizing is certainly off. I normally get a 26 in simply be dresses because their sizing can be all over the place and it's sensible to go for the bigger option when you're a 24-26. I got a 28 in this one though. It fit's me and my body shape exceedingly well in terms of being flattering (which I hope you can see from my crappy pictures of the night I wore it for a zoom launch?!). It's not hugely comfortable though, because the sleeves are pretty tight all over. Not so much that it bothers me for events.... I just wouldn't wear it all day or if I was lounging around. thankfully these dresses are available up to size 32, so unless you're at the top of that band you can size up until it's the correct fit. Worth it for such a pretty dress with such a killer neckline. It looks like they have started making them in jersey fabric so I have to order one to wear when I wanna be super comfy but still look like a boss!


My beloved bleach wash denim jacket is starting to crumble a bit, so I decided to try this one out.Not into it. the elasticated waist doesn't work because the jacket is too long. makes it like those nightmareish bubble hems that plus size retailers used to insist fat women wanted! Got the 26 and it was big on the waist but tight on the bust.


If you like a super retro 80s look then this is a cute jacket, but for me it just doesn't work when done up as it's too puffy in the bits of me I'd like it to fit. Certainly better unbuttoned as you can see. Not stretchy.


Very comfy, just not up my street nowadays. Would have loved this a few years back, but it felt a bit too young for me nowadays! It's lovely stretch denim and the waist is great though. liked it but knew I wouldn't wear it so sent it back.


I suspected the buttons would be a problem on this dress. correct. size 26, very stretchy and nice soft denim, but no good thanks to gaping. Sizing up might work as it could be firm enough to keep it's shape.


Size 26. Not stretchy. Sadly a super weird shape! Very tight on the bust.


Rather than making the pockets at the front real, they've put in pockets on the hips, but the seams round the tiers are so tight that they just stick out and look messy. again, sizing up might help, but ergh.... wish Simply Be would just sort out their stupid sizing!


I was so torn about this dress! It was on sale and only cost me £11 at the time, but the print just doesn't do it for me. I kept it for two reasons.....


..... it is SO comfy! The fabric is the softest jersey. Almost feels a bit furry?! Super soft to the touch and very stretchy. It's also a great shape - nips in under the bust and is midaxi length. It's warm thanks to the long sleeves and high neck. So I kept it because it's just so comfy for wearing around the house! I do wish I could have got this is a polka dot or less tartan-ish check, but never mind! It's heavenly yo wear so I will live with the print until I can get the floral or leopard print version in the sale, then I might put this one on ebay ;)


This just didn't sit right on me. The elastic ended too high to hit my waist in the right place so it is more frumpy than it should be! On other ladies I think this would be lovey though. Size 24 this time as bigger would be oversized. Fabric is a tad synthetic and textured, but all very flexible and comfy. Love the colour. Sad it just doesn't sit right on me!


I knew this coat was not gonna fit me right, but I HAD to try it for the blog, because.... well look at it! Pale nude pink faux fur with big black spots?! God it's awesome!


Simply Be told me it wouldn't fit right.... they said it wasn't available in my recommended size for the piece (size 28) because it is one of those infuriating items that only goes up to a 26. And a small 26 it is.


I can get it done up but it's too tight. It's very straight cut so it just doesn't work for my shape sadly. A tad tight on the upper arms but not too bad at all in that area compared to most coats.


I love it, but it can't be mine! If you're interested though, here are the details. It's that old school firm faux fur rather thsan the super soft flowing stuff that most faux furs seem to be made of these days, so exceedingly warm and would kick ass in the bleak mid winter that I'm sure will arrive in January. You won't need to wear loads of thick layers underneath as it's so thick, but it fastens with hook and eyes, and there's no overlap so a scarf might be needed for the gaps where wind could get through. The shoulders are actually shoulder shaped(!) so this is a smart coat with a tailored look. As you can see from above you can flip up the neck to make it all cosy. It's midi length and looks cool as fuck! So sad I can't keep this. It would have made a killer double breasted coat! Sorry for the crappy pics btw, bit of a rush job, but check out the actual pics on the site, they're very true to life!


There was a happy ending though! It took AGES for this coat to arrive, but it finally turned up today and I LOVE IT! From Evans... can you even imagine?!


I ended up on Evans because of that black faux fur hooded coat from my last post (the PLT one that had no shape!). I searched for similar coats and saw this one from Yours (when did Yours get so pricey btw?!) and this one from Evans. Both were sold out in my size at the time but I noticed Evans had another black faux fur on sale for £35.


The website doesn't sell it well frankly. the model pics look like a different coat! It looks short and small and basic in shape on the model, but the product shot looked like a nice funnel neck so I took a chance.


So glad I did! It is the softest faur fur and so comfy! Has overlapping hook and eye fastenings all the way up and a brilliant funnel neck. I wanted a 24-26, but Evans sizing is madness so it was a 24 or a 26-28. I plumped for the bigger size as I wanted to be able to wear jumpers underneath.


It's a bit oversized but just gives it a bit of a swing vibe, thanks to the fitted shoulders and length. It's still on sale and has been re-stocked in some of the sizes so I HIGHLY recommend this coat to everyone. I'm gonna wear this shit out of this, and I can now sell all my old firm faux furs in the new year, as they've now been replaced with styles that feel more like me! Ps, the hooded Evans coat also looks lovely and has been re-stocked. Would have loved a hooded fur but it's more expensive so I'm sticking with this one, and reminding myself that I get to wear one of my big, bright, woolly hats with this anyway!

You may have noticed that I have a bandage on my ankle / foot and yes, 2020 strikes again! I fell in a very stupid way and sprained my ankle + buggered both my knees, so I'm trying hard to stay positive by wearing Christmas jewelry and keeping a smile on my mush. This is probably my last post this year so Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment