Pages

Sunday 1 December 2019

ASOS Curve review 2019 #2. Party frocks!

Tis the season to be frocky! 
This is a cute dress. I ordered the 26 an although I'm sure the 24 body would have fit nicely, the arms would certainly have been too small. Happily this is a very good fit. The fabric is also a bit stretchy so it's comfy too!
Nice colour, nice length, nice cut!
The only problem I have is that faux leather makes me sweat. I'm not sure how long I could wear this if I keep it.... but I like how it looks so I WANT TO KEEP IT! Still mulling this one over!
I mean..... come on. You know I feel super sexy in this right? You know I kept this one, right?!
Sadly this seems to have sold out in the smaller sizes, but on the plus side you defo need to size up in this dress, so if you're a size 26 or 28 you're in luck!
I feel a bit Nigella Christmas in this frock, and that is my happy place so it's has joined my wardrobe. It's got  bit of give but it's not stretchy. Linen, so lightweight fabric but firm enough to hold you in and create an hourglass silhouette. you can see what a lovely shape it is.
It shows some skin without being obvious. Speaking of obvious.... I obviously don't wear this bra with this dress normally!
YOU KNOW I HAD TO BUY THIS BAT SHIT CRAZY DRESS!!!
It is like drag queen meets evil queen and I paid full price for it and have zero regrets! I also give zero fucks if people think I'm bonkers when I wear it.
Now look, the sleeves are stupid, but I live for them. And yes, it's not flattering and shows up my belly, but I love it anyway. To be fair I would be wearing this with tights that smooth my belly down so the silhouette would be more pleasing when it's a full outfit, but my belly will still be on display and I don't care a jot!
Flattering on the old arse though, huh? I actually stitched the ruffles at the front down to the body of the dress and left them separated above the bust and on the shoulders.I just knew they're get in the way for me because when I talk I gesticulate a lot (too much, I'm always knocking over drinks!) but just so you know, I've customised this a bit.
Ignore the ruffle. It's been in my rammed wardrobe and I forgot to smooth it down when I put it on! So, this dress is stretch denim, which is why it is so fucking fabulous and sculptural! It's also a beautiful pastel greeny blue shade, which is unusual. Oh and it's METALLIC! Asos saw me coming with this dress. Cat nip to Parsnip!
Again, pretty sure you can tell that this was a keeper. Already worn on date night. Sexy and funky. My partner described me as "Fit as fuck" in this, which is exactly how I feel when I put it on! 
I didn't really need to get a 26 in this but I'm not sure it would have made much difference so I didn't bother to change it. It's a thinner and more flexible fabric that I had expected (sort of crumpled shell fabric, not plisee but not flat either!) and the rouching and big sleeves make it a bit more generous than some other similar dresses I've tried from Asos.
Again, I didn't wear this bra with it! Now full disclosure. I like how this dress looks but it's not too well made. The rouched front is two pieces of fabric and the thread used to join them is not strong enough. I've had to sew the seam up all along the front of the dress. If I'd paid full price I'd be pissed off, but I got it on sale and feel hot in it, so meh... I got my needle out and fixed it. But be warned! 
Checked, size 26

I just wanted to mention some dresses I didn't keep and so don't have photos of.....


I tried a 26 in this frock and it was insane! On me anyway. The skirt felt like a size 20 and the top a size 28. Such a shame because if this had been in proportion I would have loved it! I love the satin fabric, I love the colour and print, I love the cut. If you are very triangular and have very large breasts but much narrower hips, then you might find this a great fit though. It's so cute. Gutted it was such an odd fit on me! To be fair you can sort of see that it doesn't fit the model too well either so I should have realised!


I ordered this in a 26 but it turned out to be a soft and stretchy fabric so I would have changed it for a 24. I love this dress, but big puff sleeves don't look very good on me unless the shoulders are quite big. The sloping shoulders on anything a bit batwing shaped doesn't look quite right as I already have sloping shoulders! I highly recommend it to everyone else though! Lovely bright bodycon dress, perfect with tights because it's long sleeves are warm. If it get's massively reduced then I might buy it and add some shoulder pads, but right now I'm resisting!


I REALLY struggled with the decision to return this dress. I got a size 26 (correct, the skirt would have been too tight in a 24!) and oh my god it's so fucking cool! The colour is astonishing! It is the brightest yellow gold you will ever see. You could see me from space in this AND THAT'S HOW NOTICEABLE I WANNA BE! My problem with it is a personal one; I don't like things round my neck. This isn't exactly tight on my neck, but because it's high on the neck, and ruched, and non-stretch it made me feel a bit trapped. I tried to work out if I could customise it to make a slash neck, but I couldn't see an easy way to do it, but you had better believe that if it ends up in the bargain bin I'm gonna buy it, cut it into a slash neck and spend bloody ages sewing it up! If you're cool with things around your neck I think this dress is so special. you can also tie the sleeves so you can wear them as 3-4 if you don't like how long they are. I keep thinking out this dress. Truly a colour for a queen!


No comments:

Post a Comment